Generac generators are great for when you need reliable power. However, there is one small problem: the yellow light on your generator will come on, and it won’t go off until you reset it.
This can be a pain to do, and most people don’t know how to do it. This blog post will look at the best way how to reset yellow light on generac generator.
What Does a Yellow Light on Generac Generator Mean?
A yellow light on a generator is the result of over-loading. The overload trips the internal breaker due to excess in connective load or current draw cycles.
Your Generac may have been drawing too much power for your needs at that given time, perhaps because you are providing too much power for appliances simultaneously, which exceeds the demand threshold.
Once overloaded, the generator’s internal components are protected from any damages caused by residual heat or air circulating through metal shafts or into electrical wiring, which could cause severe damage if left unchecked.
Best Way How to Reset Yellow Light on Generac Generator
Resetting the yellow light on your Generac generator can be as simple as waiting for it to turn off and then starting the machine again.
To reset the yellow light on your Generac generator, you need to do the following:
- Unplug the generator from your power source: the best way to do this is by unplugging it from your local power grid. Then, you can plug the generator back in once the yellow light has turned off, and everything will be reset.
- Remove the cover screw from the top of the control panel. Generally, there will be a spot to insert a screwdriver and twist to remove the cover. Once this is off, you can locate the internal breaker switch.
- Push all of the buttons to reset the circuit breaker inside your generator. This will turn on or restart your generator once more, and it should be working correctly again after doing so. It may take a few minutes before everything has been fully restored to normal operations, but you should not have any more problems after following these steps.
Read Also: Generac battery : how to recharge
What If Red Light Comes On?
If red light comes on, it means that the exhaust protection device has kicked in. This is usually due to poor air intake but can also be caused by problems with the carburetor or engine compartment.
If your generator releases black smoke, the diesel fuel may be too low, or there could be spark plugs problems.
Both of these issues need to be addressed for proper operation; Without addressing these specific factors,
your generator will never produce power properly again, and any longer-term fixes are likely unsuccessful.
It is essential to know what both of these lights mean because different treatments are what you’ll need to take if either one flashes. That’s why it’s always handy to keep this list in mind whenever you’re operating your generator.
It will keep you prepared for any situation that may arise and can help to protect your generator from damage in the event of an over-heat or over-load condition.
Do not ignore the yellow light because it could result in severe engine problems down the road. If left unchecked, these issues could lead to a much larger issue which would require you to buy a new generator.
How to Prevent Yellow Light on Generac Generator
Another wise idea is to take preventative measures in the future.
If you know that your yellow light has been coming on much more frequently than it should, then perhaps you need a new power strip or extension cord.
This will help reduce instances of overload and keep your generator safe for years to come.
Here are some tips to prevent the yellow light from coming up on the Generac generator
- Check your oil levels before using it. If you do not have any diesel fuel, then this is probably why the red light came on. You can also turn off some of the appliances or power strips if necessary to prevent an overload condition from occurring once more.
- Keep the generator free from dirt and dust. If you have been using it recently, then this is probably why an overheating issue has occurred. Try sweeping off any excess debris from the inside of your power unit to keep everything running smoothly.
- Address any potential problems before they come up. Suppose you have had issues with overloading your generator in the past. In that case, it is wise to pick up a power strip or extension cord that can handle these additional needs without resulting in an overload condition at all.
If none of these tips work and the yellow light comes on again after resetting everything, you may have to replace your power cord.
FAQ’s How to Prevent Yellow Light on Generac Generator
Can I Reset My Own Yellow Light?
Yes, you can as long as the generator is unplugged from your power source and then plugged back in. Turn off all of the switches located on top of your control panel (generally, there will be a spot to insert a screwdriver and twist to remove the cover).
Do I Need to Reset My Yellow Light On a Weekly Basis?
No, you do not have to. Usually, the yellow light will only come on if it is being overloaded or drawing too much power from your local grid at that given time. In this case, simply unplugging the generator and plugging it back in should reset the light again.
What If the Yellow Light Doesn’t Turn Off?
If it does not turn back on after unplugging and plugging your generator back in, then you may have a problem with either your air intake or carburetor (or engine compartment). Either way, this is an issue that will need to be addressed before you can use your generator again.
Resetting the yellow light on your Generac generator is easy to do and can be done in just a few minutes. This ensures that you never have any problems with this.
It may be beneficial for you to consider contacting Generac if you are having trouble or need help getting everything running properly again.
Read: 100ah generator battery